Blackstone Valley Children's Place
A learning experience is found in every moment of a child’s life. Blackstone Valley Children’s Place provides a nurturing atmosphere that encourages every child to discover his or her potential through exploratory play. Our professionally trained staff provides quality educational, early childhood, and school age experiences. All programs are licensed by the MA Dept of Early Education and Care (EEC).
For over 25 years, Camp Whitin has prided itself on providing fun, youth-oriented summer camps for children between the ages of 4-13 throughout the Blackstone Valley. Whether it is an activity, educational or sport camp, half-day or full day, every camper will enjoy an experience full or fun, fitness, and friendships!
The Youth Outreach program is offered to youth ages 5-17 in our community FREE of charge. The program strives to inspire youth by establishing a true commitment to character, positive attitude, and a sense of purpose through 5 primary ideas: Education, Personal Well-being, Recreation, Creativity, and Meaningful Relationships.
WCC In The Community
Part of the Whitin Community Center’s mission is to “build a strong community in the Blackstone Valley.” We take our role as a community partner very seriously. We strive to support the greater Blackstone Valley community as a non-profit organization by providing discounted programs to seniors, those with disabilities, collections for food pantries, volunteering at local organizations, participating in town cleanups, offering our facilities to the public during state of emergencies and so much more!
Part of the Whitin Community Center’s mission is to “build a strong community in the Blackstone Valley.” We take our role as a community partner very seriously. Below are just a few examples of how we support the greater Blackstone Valley community as a non-profit organization:
- Provide significantly discounted programs for seniors.
- Provide significantly discounted programs for people with developmental and psychiatric disabilities including special education students from local schools and organizations.
- Provide work experience programs for developmentally disabled young people.
- Collect donations for area food pantries, military care packages, seniors and toys for tots programs organized by local veterans groups.
- Provide donations and raffle items for local police, fire, and school events and fundraisers.
- Work with The Coalition to identify and provide resources for people in need in the Northbridge community. The Coalition is an ongoing partnership of students, parents, educators, professionals and concerned citizens.
- Volunteer with other organizations in our area including the Blackstone Valley Chamber of Commerce, the John H. Chafee Blackstone River Valley National Heritage Corridor, Parks and Recreation, Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts, and more.
- Offer facilities and grounds for events in our community including Greenway Challenge, Whitin Five Mile Thanksgiving Day Road Race, Boy Scout and Girl Scout events, and other non-profit events.
- Provide free meeting locations for non-profit and faith-based organizations and groups.
- Host free annual family events including Santa’s Coming, Kids Fair, and Eggstravaganza.
- Maintain the components of the Youth Outreach program (Rockdale Youth Center, Saturday Afternoon Fitness and Fun, Mentoring Partnership, and Summer Youth Theatre). All of these programs are offered free of charge with no residency requirement and are funded 100% through charitable contributions and grants; no funding is provided through fees or membership dues.
- Promote Bone Marrow Drive and American Red Cross Blood Drives held on site.
- Share our facility with the public during a state of emergency.
- Post events and notices by other non-profits in the area on our Community Bulletin Board.